Getting the job done
“Get the job done” – this is probably one of the most used and abused phrase in the work place especially in the life of a software programmer. In large organizations, a significant part of your work life is dependent on actually getting your work environmentnt setup correctly. Before you can get the job done, you need the following “done”
1) Have your version control system point to the correct source files
2) Get the correct debug build (not necessarily the daily build)
3) Get in touch with one key architect who knows the entire product (imp in large distributed teams)
4) Get tools for : file compare, process explorer, a light weight file editor(apart from your dev env). Visual Studio developers can gawk
5) Information you need may be spread across corporate wiki pages and sites. Learn how to bookmark and more importantly learn how to look for information. Ask people who have been in the team for some time to share their books marks.
After you have done all of the above, you are now ready to ‘Get the Job Done’